Are you ready for a trekking tour on the Toubkal? This walk will take you to the summit (4,167 m) of the highest mountain in Morocco. Find the impressions and practical advice for trekking in Morocco , reporter for travel VOX, who also wrote our travel guide to Morocco in 44 days.
ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CHALLENGE IN MOROCCO!This trek is simply unforgettable. Despite sometimes difficult conditions (cold and altitude), this trek will remain one of the best moments of this trip to Morocco! The landscapes were spectacular. Some days, you will not meet anyone during the 10 hours of hiking. This trekking in Morocco on the toubkal will give you the feeling of being alone in the world, out of time. If you go with a group of friends, this kind of walk is a great opportunity to share moments, to support each other during the adventure! This trek also offers the opportunity to excel physically and morally! Successful challenge!
Here are all my tips to succeed your Toubkal climb in Morocco:
INSPIRE YOUR OUR PROGRAM DAY TO DAY!
• Day 1: Taxi ride from Marrakech to Imlil, starting point of the trek. Count 1h30 taxi. Departure from Imlil towards the village of Azib Tamsoult. 5h30 of walking, 1,300 meters of elevation gain, night in a bèrgerie.
• Day 2: From Azib Tamsoult to the Neltner Hut: crossing the Tazaghart Plateau. 8h30 of walking, 530 meters of altitude to climb, 850 meters of vertical drop, night in the refuge.
• Day 3: Ascension Toubkal (4 167 meters altitude). 7:30 walk to go back and forth, 957 vertical meters, night at the shelter of Neltner.
• Day 4: Departure from the Toubkal refuge towards Lake Ifni, then overnight in the village of Amsouzaert. 10:00 walk, 454 meters of elevation gain, 1,884 meters of elevation gain.
If only the Toubkal elevation you are interested in or if you do not want to walk as much as you can, another alternative is possible. The first day of the trek you can leave Imlil and go directly to the refuge of Neltner, located at the foot of Toubkal. Day two, climb the Toubkal and at the end of the day or the next day return to Imlil.
HOW TO ORGANIZE THE ASCENSION IN PLACE, INDEPENDENT?
The organization of the trek was made from the guides office in Imlil. It offers guides, detailed maps of the area and mule services for multi-day hikes. This trek lasted 5 days / 5 nights. There were four of us. We left in autonomy, without guide.
From Imlil to the Neltner Shelter, you do not have any shops to stock up on food or restore points. Do shopping at Imlil and plan for at least 2 days of food: bread, canned goods, biscuits … Bring cereal bars, dried fruit … It’s cold and the hike is fairly steady, it takes energy. At the refuge, meals are served and you will find a food point to buy biscuits, water, sodas …
EQUIPMENT: PREDICT LIGHT AND WARM
Provide a warm sleeping bag, good walking shoes, trekking poles, hot business: jacket, fleeces, gloves, hats … micropur type tablets to purify the water, first aid kit. Also provide a backpack to put your picnic, bottle of water …
BUDGET FOR A TREK ON THE TOUBKAL: ABOUT 90 EUROS PER PERSON
For information, I euro is worth about 11 Moroccan dirhams. Here is a detailed overview of all the expenses to plan for trekking on the Toubkal:
• Rental crampons for 2 days: 150 dirhams
• Services of porters for 1 day: 150 dirhams
• Services of a muleteer for 1 day: 150 dirhams
• 1 night in a sheepfold: 30 dirhams
• 2 half-board at the Neltner refuge, located at the foot of Toubkal: 200 dirhams
• 2 nights half-board homestay in Amsouzaert: 120 dirhams.
• Food expenses for picnics: 100 dirhams.
=> Count about 900 dirhams (about 80 euros) per person for the trek